Civil Process Unit

The Civil Process Unit of the Forsyth County Sheriff's Office is tasked with processing and serving civil papers. Civil papers are received from our local courts as well as courts throughout the country. After incoming papers are processed they are served by uniformed deputies to citizens and businesses located in Forsyth County. As a general rule civil papers are served within seven working days of receipt by. The service is recorded in the Forsyth County Court where it was filed and a copy of the Sheriff's Service Form is mailed to the Plaintiff. Please do not call the office to check status of service. Once service is perfected, notice is mailed to the Plaintiff and returned to the courts or returned to the plaintiff from the county it was sent.

Location/Office Hours:

The Civil Process Unit is located at 100 East Courthouse Sq., Suite 135, in Cumming, GA and is open from 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.

Phone: 770-781-3091
Fax: 678-455-8521

Fees for service are as follows:
Serving copy of process and returning original, per copy $50.00
Action from another county, to be paid in advance $50.00
Summoning each witness $10.00
Each levy or writ of Fieri Facias $50.00
Search and return of Nulla Bona $20.00
Serving summons of garnishment or rule against garnishee
If more than one, for each additional copy
$ 6.00
For dispossessing tenant or intruder (evictions) $25.00
*These fees are set by state law, O.C.G.A. § 15-16-21 (b.)(12)

I have Civil Papers that I need to serve in Forsyth County. Where do I send them?

I received a postcard in the mail stating I have a civil paper to be served at my address, OR I found a notice posted on my door stating that someone attempted to serve a civil process document. What should I do?

Other FAQ's:

1. How is a Dispossessory Served?

2. How are Writ of Possession (Evictions) handled?

3. How do I apply for a Temporary Protective Order (TPO)?

4. Where can I find court fees?

5. Where can I find listings for foreclosure sales?

6. How are garnishments served?

7. I have a court order to get my child. Can the Sheriff's Office help?

8. I want to retrieve my property. Can the Sheriff's Office help?

9. How is a Notice of a Foreclosure of Right to Redeem handled?

10. How is a Probate Order to Apprehend carried out?

11. How and when are Sheriff's Sales Conducted?

12. How are Subpoenas obtained?

13. Can you assist me with a Fi-Fa (Writ of Fieri Facias)?

14. How do I request a Real Property Levy?

Copyright © 2017 Forsyth County Sheriff's Office. All Rights Reserved.